In the September edition of The Mixer, the Officer of Film + Music, Washington Filmworks, and Whipsmart hosted a discussion on the distinctions, benefits, and drawbacks between independent contractor and employee classifications. Employment attorneys Ben Byers (Litigator, Corr Cronin) and Jared Van Kirk (Labor and Employment Attorney, Foster Garvey), provided legal information, examples, and trends in state-level legislation on the topic. Joanne Ort, Certified Public Accountant and owner of Ort CPA, also provided information on taxes and accounting for contractors and businesses.
Whipsmart and Washington Filmworks also presented their findings from the recent Social Safety Net Survey.
On the Horizon
Looking for some marketing tips? We’re working with some friends on a webinar series and want to know what marketing skills you’re interested in developing. Let us know in this 4 question survey!
More Legal Expertise
Seattle Public Library has free (pro bono) legal consults coming up for those who want to talk with a legal expert on employment law, corporate law or intellectual property law. Just email L2B@spl.org and include your name, email, phone number, and a brief summary of your legal question. SPL’s Library to Business team will write back to you with available consultation times.
- Virtual Consult – Intellectual Property Law: Wednesday, Oct. 7, 2020, 4 – 6 p.m.
- Virtual Consult – Corporate Law: Oct. 12th, 2020, 4-6pm
- Virtual Consult – Intellectual Property Law: Wednesday, Oct. 15, 2020, 4 – 6 p.m.
- Virtual Consult – Employment Law: Wednesday, Oct. 21, 2020, 4 – 6 p.m.
- Virtual Consult – Intellectual Property Law: Thursday, Oct. 29, 2020, 4 – 6 p.m.