The Film Task Force is a diverse group of film industry and community stakeholders that advise the Office of Film + Music and the City of Seattle on ways to best support and grow the local film industry and community. The Task Force has developed standing committees that are focused on equity and inclusion, the film commission, film production in Seattle, and making Seattle a prime location for film production.
While Seattle is a strong indie film and commercial production center, Seattle cannot rely on looks and strong crew alone. Seattle’s film industry relies on strong marketing and branding as a method to attract film production to the area. The Marketing Seattle subcommittee is charged with advising on the development of branding and marketing platforms that will effectively market Seattle as the filmmaking destination. In order to increase the visibility of Seattle as a great place for film, the Film Task Force Marketing Seattle subcommittee recommends these short and long term steps:
- Engage with neighborhoods to reestablish and strengthen relationships around the economic impact of local filming. This engagement would provide best practices of filming tailored to specific neighborhoods.
- Co-create a marketing plan with Business Improvement Areas to encourage partnerships between local businesses impacted by COVID-19 closures and the film industry.
- Develop an online marketplace to monitor supply and demand where business owners offer their space for rent, and industry posts needs for private locations and services. An online “guide” for neighborhoods will be provided that businesses can consult.
- Establish a Film Commission, to advance opportunities available, and advocate for growth in the film industry.
- Market Seattle
- Nominate film industry brand ambassadors to promote Seattle internally and externally through an active presence at film markets and festivals with the goal of attracting talent and big productions to Seattle.
- Encourage the establishment of platforms and programs for local media content and skill sharing.
- Continue Industry Cross-Pollination
- Provide connections to expand joint innovation with other sectors and creative industries, particularly music, gaming, graphics/animation and emerging technologies such as motion capture, AR/VR/XR and virtual production photogrammetry.
By working with stakeholders and data, the Market Seattle subcommittee prioritizes the short and long term goals to achieve the overarching objectives to position Seattle as a premier location for film production and increase support for the film industry. This is proposed to take the form of traditional marketing in collaboration with the Office of Film + Music and its regional and statewide partners, as well innovative ways to bring our communities together to support film in Seattle.